Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Virtual PC and Windows ME

I tried to install Windows ME on VPC 2004 today - Virtual PC, btw, is an awesome tool by Microsoft, giving you a virtual machine on which you can install other operating systems. So, on Windows XP, You can set up multiple VMs running other versions of Windows. Being short of test systems, I tried installing WinME from my MSDN CD, on my XP pro. The CD wasn't bootable!

So the only way out was to try and find a DOS boot disk somehow and let Virtual PC boot into DOS, and then install WinME. But how the heck do I get a boot disk? I haven't used a floppy disk for ages! I found out that VPC allows you to "capture" a floppy disk image from a VFD file, and even boot from it. Good. Now a quick google search gave me this amazing blog.

You can download the Windows ME boot disk directly. Or, choose the boot disks for Windows XP Professional, Windows 98 SE, or any of the others mentioned.

I'm just putting this in my blog for reference...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For boot disks I've always used the ones from www.etplanet.cc (there is a bigger variety)
This is also some other things there like video codecs and so on

- Robert MacLean
- www.sadev.co.za

10:43 PM  
Blogger Deepak Shenoy said...

Thanks for that Robert...that site does have a ton of disks supported. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to find a utility that'll create a VFD file (and that I don't have to purchase!). What I got was : 1) Create an empty vfd file using the Virtual Disk Wizard in VPC, and 2) Use a utility like this to read and write to the VFD. Then I guess you can use it as a boot device.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home